Out-of-State Authorization

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)


The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is a voluntary, national initiative established to allow member states to offer online courses outside each institution’s state by seeking and maintaining state approvals via a streamlined process. State participation in SARA assists institutions to remain compliant with other member SARA state’s regulatory agencies. Learn more about SARA.

On March 2, 2015, the Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC) approved the State of Ohio to join SARA. Rhodes State College was approved as part of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) on February 23, 2016

Current authorized SARA member states include 49 member states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands

*Students are responsible for notifying the institution if their permanent state of residency changes.
A change in their state of residence may affect their ability to take classes and/or complete a degree from Rhodes State College.

Approved SARA States

Professional Licensure

To ensure SARA compliance, all academic programs leading to professional licensure must inform students it is the student’s responsibility to ensure the professional licensure they are obtaining meets the criteria for licensure in their state of residence

Important Note for Students: If you are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license, it is highly recommended you contact the appropriate licensing agency where you plan to receive instruction before beginning your academic program. SARA does not provide reciprocity for state professional licensing requirements. Academic programs and individual graduates must meet standards set by that state’s licensure requirements in order for a graduate to be eligible for a license.

Student Complaints

Student Complaints: Students who are enrolled in a Rhodes State College course who have a complaint about a course or experience should follow the
Rhodes State College Student Complaint/Grievance Policy.

Students residing outside Ohio who are taking course work at a distance and desire to resolve a grievance, will be directed to the College's Grade Appeal and Student Grievance Policies. If an issue cannot be resolved internally to the College through the Office of Student Affairs, students may file a complaint with their state of residence. Rhodes State provides contact information in the
Student Complaint Information by State PDF.